Daily Reads

5.09.2012

Picture me {im}perfectly


I recently came across a blog that has me inspired in just about every way.
As usual, I was drawn in by how pretty it looked, but I will be a faithful reader because of the content. Capturing Motherhood is written by Hill, a christian woman who has committed her blog to honoring the Lord. Her sincerity is so inspiring.

Case in point: At the end of every post, she lists things she is thankful for. (I'm following her lead and doing the same thing. Such a wonderful practice!) She does not allow comments on her blog because, in her words, she "loves them too much" and she wants her value to come from the Lord. And every Wednesday, in the interest of encouraging her fellow bloggers, and reminding us all that perfection is a myth, she posts about how imperfect she is - read more here

I am totally on board. And to prove it, here is a picture of me about to go to the grocery store in my ball cap. Not because I'm such a devoted Red Sox fan, but because I couldn't be bothered to wash my hair Monday morning. (I guess if I was getting real I should have taken the picture before I put on the cap? Baby steps, people. Baby steps.) Most of the pictures of me that make it to this blog were taken at some sort of special event - on a Sunday morning going to church, at a party, brunch with friends, big family holidays, etc. - and then go through a rigorous screening process by me before ever making it to the screen. 

But this is what I look like most of the time when I'm home with Mikey. 
Undone hair, ball cap, my oldest pair of jeans, and my oldest comfiest running shoes. 

It's not because of laziness. Most days that I'm home with him, doing my hair just doesn't seem important at all. Not when there are stories to read, walks to take, games to play (not to mention all of the things that have to be done.) It's an ongoing struggle with me - I feel like I'm failing because I don't take more time to fix myself up. Then I realize that Tim and Michael love me just how I am, and when I'm happy they light up no matter what I'm wearing. And when I listen closely to God's word, I realize He has whispered this same wisdom to me since I was a little girl:

"What matters is not your outer appearance - the styling of your hair, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes - but your inner disposition. Cultivate inner beauty. The gentle, gracious kind that God delights in."  - 1 Peter 3:3-4


Thank you, Hill, for your encouragement! I'm so excited to be a part of this!
Have a great day, friends! xoxo
4. a safe, clean place to live
5. a healthy little niece on the way
6. a husband who loves me and our son completely

3 comments:

  1. thank you SO very much for linking up to my little blog! I always desire to change hearts in bogland and you're helping!! loved your post and your honest words. xoxo. Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'm totally embarrassed - I realize now that Jennifer was someone who linked to a previous {im}perfect post. I saw her name at the bottom and thought that was your name. Haha - I apologize for the mistake! Thanks for the comment, and thanks again for the encouragement :)

      Delete
    2. oh no need to apologize at all! as long as the Lord gets the glory. loved reading your post. xo

      Delete