Daily Reads

5.24.2012

I've never liked looking back. I've always preferred to focus on the future. The possibilities of what lies ahead make me happy, so putting the past behind me is usually easy. But I'm a mom now, and sometimes I feel like I live in the past, present, and future all at once. Sometimes it's impossible not to look back. 

At 13 months old, I'm finally weaning Michael. I had planned to stop nursing him by the time he was a year old. But when he was 11 months old we moved. When he was 11 1/2 months old we changed locations again. And when he was 12 months old we moved again. So I kept putting it off to give him some consistency and to ease the transition for all of us. But it's finally time. And my heart is breaking. 

I never expected to like breastfeeding. In fact, if it wasn't so highly recommended by physicians I probably wouldn't have done it, but I felt like I should at least give it a try. Then, he was born and from the very first time I nursed him he loved it. He was instantly peaceful and happy. It usually put him straight to sleep. I could calm him at any time. Sick, hurt, scared, tired, cold, hungry, day or night - I had the solution for all of it and it was fantastic. I wasn't born a nurturer, but in an instant I learned the joy of giving this helpless creature what he couldn't give himself. Nursing him was like giving the most fantastic mama-hug I could possibly give. And I got to look at him and feel him breathing and smell his sweet smell the whole time. I loved it.

I'm not trying to rewrite history here. There were plenty of struggles along the way. There were the usual discomforts for me. There were many nights spent mostly sitting up nursing, crying and praying that he would just sleep for a few hours without needing me. I had planned to do regular per diem work on weekends at the hospital where I had worked previously, but Michael wouldn't take a bottle and consequently I was only able to work for 3 or 4 hours at a time. I gave what seemed like every minute day and night, making myself available to nurse this baby, and now it was taking over the small scrap of what was left of my professional life. I felt tied down, and then I felt guilty when I needed to get away sometimes. The sheer pressure of someone needing me that much was overwhelming.

Sometimes I felt pushed to my limit. But all I had to do was think about weaning him, and I would find the strength to continue. I just couldn't imagine voluntarily cutting that bond with my baby. Not when it brought him so much comfort. Not when so many other mothers struggled to nurse. Not when it connected us. I was grateful and I didn't want to let it go.

Months passed, and we settled into a comfortable nursing and sleeping pattern. By the time he was 9 months old he even started sleeping through the night sometimes. And for the last several months that is where we've been - he would nurse four times during the day and sleep through the night. And I could do that forever. 

Except he's not a baby anymore. So we're moving on. 

Instead of nursing him to sleep I hold him and rock him and sing 'You are my Sunshine'. Instead of praying while I nurse my baby, I pray while I hug my little boy. He puts his sweet head on my shoulder and wraps his arms around me and sometimes he pats my back. A glimpse of all the hugs I will get from him in the future. That makes my heart happy. But a piece of me will always dwell in the past too. As I sing I feel the weight of his little toddler body in my arms and my voice breaks every time.

11 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. I never was able to solely nurse Leo and we made it two months nursing and bottle feeding. I am so glad you were able to do do successfully and share that bond with Mikey. I must admit that I too am having a challenging time knowing that my baby is turning into a toddler. This should be an interesting ride and I am so glad we can share our struggles and triumphs with our boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, I'm crying. That was so sweetly written.

    My kids are closer to being adults than babies, but sometimes I think back to the days when they were tiny. It is always a bittersweet thing, but I'm so happy I had that time with them. Just as I'm happy to have this time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, Chris. So, so beautiful. God has given you a luminous mother's heart-and my do you shine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christi, I just stumbled across your blog and had to stop and read your beautiful post. I also nursed my son for almost 15 months (he'll be 3 in August) and it was one of the most precious things I can imagine - not that I imagined that before I started :) I still miss it every once in a while as well but it gets easier and those bonding moments get replaced by those when he gets old enough to tell you "Mommy I love you" :)) Thank you for sharing, it was so endearing to read! Hope you enjoy a beautiful Memorial Day weekend with your loved ones!
    Lovely greetings, Phanit

    ReplyDelete
  5. These kind of posts are still my favorite. Knowing for years before having Michael you worried you would not be naturally nurturing.... It makes my heart smile for you to read about these moments. I knew you'd have it in you when the time came! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sara :) Isn't it amazing that we have it in us and we don't even know it?!

      Delete
  6. Oh, so lovely. I am very much avoiding the thoughts of weaning my baby. It's such a sweet, sweet bond that nursing brings. Enjoy your little boy's hugs and every new morning that his cute little smile brightens your day. Thank you for sharing and for linking up with me today at Monday Mom Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so wonderfully written. I wasn't able to breastfeed for very long and so weaning wasn't as hard, but I could relate to that beautiful bond. By the way, I am linking up with Jelli today for Mommy Musings and am your newest follower!

    xo, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feeling very similar to you right now. My son is 12 months and I think he's starting to pull away from nursing. We are down to about 2 nursings a day... but I haven't made the definitive choice to 'wean'. I think it's gonna happen soon though, and like you it's bittersweet. I found your blog via It's the Little Things, and then through Mommy Musings.

    ReplyDelete